For each assignment, you will complete the following steps:
- Click on Learning Materials to Access the M.U.S.E.
- Use the M.U.S.E. link to complete the lab for this Unit.
- Track your results in the lab worksheet that is provided.
- Complete a lab report using the scientific method.
- Submit your completed lab worksheet to the assignment box.
Using the Laws of Inheritance
Gregor Mendel’s studies laid the foundation for modern genetics. In a series of elegant experiments, Mendel was able to deduce the most fundamental laws of single-gene and multiple-gene inheritance without having the scientific data on chromosomes, their structure, or meiotic segregation. In this lab, you will learn about and apply examples for 3 different patterns of human inheritance of traits.
In this lab, you will view information and complete activities to answer the following questions about genes and inheritance:
- What is a Punnett Square? How can it be used to analyze possible genetic outcomes for offspring?
- What is dominant/recessive inheritance?
- What is X-linked inheritance?
- What is codominant inheritance of genes?
Using the M.U.S.E. link, review the background information and animation to complete your report. Use the lab 3 worksheet for assignment instructions and data collection.
This assignment will also be assessed using additional criteria provided here.