The Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) prohibits discrimination against individuals who are aged 40 and older. This law acknowledges that age discrimination is a violation of an individual’s civil rights. Aging is inevitable and ADEA addresses the needs of older individuals who need access to opportunities for gainful employment. Consider what this law does and what aspects of employment it covers.
After reading Chapters 8 and 9 in your textbook and reviewing the information available on the “Age Discrimination Fact Sheet” to prepare for this discussion, please address each of the following:
- Describe what ADEA means in terms of what employers can and cannot do when interviewing, hiring, promoting, and firing older employees. How does this assist older employees? How does this impact younger workers?
- In your informed opinion, was ADEA a logical policy response to age discrimination? Explain your answer.
- Are there still ways that age discrimination can occur despite the existence of ADEA? Elaborate upon your response.
- Explain how ADEA impacts you life (if you are aged 40 and older) or explain how you expect ADEA to impact your life (if you are less than 40 years of age).
- Has there been a change in the way that older Americans are perceived following the passage of ADEA? If not, why do you believe this is? If so, what are some examples of the changes in perceptions of older Americans?
Your initial post should be at least 250 words in length. Support your claims with examples from the required material(s) and/or other scholarly resources, and properly cite any references.