Discussion: Research Article Critique
Discussion: Research Article Critique
Occupational Stressors, Stress Perception Levels, and Coping Styles of Medical Srugical RNs: A Generalized Perspective
Your assigned article for critique is:
Wakim, N. (2014). Occupational stressors, stress perception levels, and coping styles of medical surgical RNs. Journal of Nursing Administration, 44(12), 632-639. doi:10.1097/NNA.0000000000000140
Instructions: A major skill that is learned in this course is how to critically read and critique nursing research articles. The purpose for critiquing an article is to critically evaluate the research process followed by the author(s) of the assigned article. This is an information-intensive, time-intensive process that is not learned overnight. To demonstrate your skill at critiquing an article, you will complete this open-book multiple choice assignment.
Here’s how you should approach completing this week’s assignment to finish critiquing an article:
1. First, do your assigned reading in Grove, Gray, and Burns (2015) and complete the reading worksheets early in the week. This will introduce you to the critique skills you will need for the week.
2. Skim the entire instructor assigned research article that has been posted on Blackboard for you so that you will have an idea of what it is about. Lightly cross out the abstract for the article (you won’t be using it). Then, for this week, re-read carefully from the study design section through the end of the article.
3. Print this document and find the best answer to each question below based on your Grove, Gray, and Burns (2015) assigned reading for the week and what you have read in the instructor assigned research article.
4. Some of the questions in the critique assignment below will seem unfamiliar to you. Look up key terms from the question in your textbook. Some examples of these terms might be: power analysis, inter-rater reliability, and generalization. You can also look in Chapter 12 for an example of a critical appraisal (or critique) of a quantitative research article.
5. Once you have completed this assignment “on paper”, go into blackboard and enter your answers by the assignment due date and time listed in the syllabus. Ignore any wording from Blackboard that indicates that “this is a test” and carefully enter your answers from this document.
6. You will have two access attempts to record your answers. This is given to you so that if you encounter technical difficulties on your first attempt, or you would like a second attempt to try to improve your grade, you may do so. You will not be able to see the questions that you missed when you submit your attempt. Blackboard will record the highest grade from the two submissions.
If you have questions about this assignment, you can post them to your group discussion board for help. Please do not post the exact question from the assignment below and ask the group for the answer as this would constitute academic dishonesty.
Questions 1 – 9: Sample. (For help with these questions, refer to chapters: 9 & 12)
1. What sampling method or plan was used by the authors in this study?
a. Simple random sampling
b. Systematic sampling
c. Convenience sampling
d. Network sampling
2. According to Grove, Gray, and Burns (2015), what are the potential biases of this sampling method?
a. This is a strong probability sampling method with very little potential for bias
b. This method is used when an ordered list of all members of the population are available, and provides a random but not equal chance for inclusion in the study.
c. This method provides little opportunity to control for bias because subjects are included in the study merely because they happen to be in the right place at the right time.
d. This method is specific to the individuals who were recruited and the information gained cannot be generalized to others who don’t share these types of experiences.
e. None of the above biases best describe the sampling method chosen by the author.
3. What was the final sample size reported by the authors for this study?
a. 200 participants
b. 84 participants
c. 159 participants
d. 161 participants
Use the following coupon code :
The post Discussion: Research Article Critique appeared first on NursingPaperSlayers.