For this assignment, you will choose one or two social media platform(s) (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Snapchat, etc.). Once you have chosen, in 500-750 words, do the following:
- Describe the self-enhancement and self-verification motives for self-esteem.
- Evaluate the posts/pages you see through the lens of self-presentation.
- Discuss which motive (self-enhancement or self-verification) is most evident in the sites you viewed. Provide examples, but do not include identifying information (names, handles, gender, etc.).
- Discuss if you think these online portraits of people are accurate. Explain your position.
- Explain if the prevalence of being exposed to social factors on social media influences individual behavior and the development of the social self, include how it does or does not. Use social psychological terminology to explain your answer.
- Discuss the positive and negative aspects associated with social media sites.
Use two to three scholarly resources to support your explanations.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. Refer to the LopesWrite Technical Support articles for assistance.
This benchmark assignment assesses the following programmatic competency:
SOC 1.1: Describe how social factors in group and society influence individual behavior and the development of the social self.