THE ASSIGNMENT: Students will research their stateâ€™s court structure and write a paper responding to the statements and questions provided below:
HELPFUL HINT: One place to locate charts: http://www.courtstatistics.org/Other-Pages/State_Court_Structure_Charts.aspx (Links to an external site.)
Locate the court structure chart for (1) the State of Indiana and (2) the State of Alaska by researching. Make a copy of those charts to submit as part of your assignment. Using the chart as a reference, respond to the following questions:
- What are the four layers of the typical state court system? Briefly explain each.
- Compare the charts for Alaska and Indiana to those in Figures 3.1 and 3.2 (pages 94 – 95 in our textbook). How unified is Indianaâ€™s court structure? How unified is Alaskaâ€™s court structure? Support your response!
- Looking at the Indiana court chart, which of those courts are courts of limited jurisdiction and which courts are general jurisdiction courts? Be specific!
THE PURPOSE: Promote understanding of the diversity of different state court systems and articulate the differences between more and less unified systems.
THE PAPER: Here are the minimum requirements::
- Cover page: In the following identifiers: Studentâ€™s name, Course Name, Assignment number and name, Instructorâ€™s name, Date.
- Header: Single-spaced, aligned to the right.
- Body of the paper: Double-spaced.
- Font: 12-point font, Times New Roman or Arial, black print.
- Paper length: No minimum length.
- Sources: Cited both within the body of the paper and in a Works Cited page.